Call today on
07393 978654
Find Us
Navigation Rd, Northwich. CW8 1BE

SOLD!!! Fellows, Morton & Clayton motor THE KING

CLICK HERE to download a PDF brochure for The King.

The King was built in 1905 by Fellows, Morton and Clayton Limited at their Saltley, Birmingham Yard as a steam powered carrying boat, fleet number 103. The King's original construction was elm bottom and iron sides. In 1925, The King was converted to diesel power by removing the steam plant and replacing it with a 15hp Bolinder Engine. She continued to work for Fellows, Morton and Clayton until July 1947 when she was sold to Ernie Thomas, Walsall and renamed “Star”.

There is lots of documented history of The King during her early working life as a steamer, the earliest dating from 1912 where The King had a collision with another steamer and broke a lot of things within her cabin, and an occurrence in 1921 where the crew of The King left paddles open up the Stoke Bruerne flight and caused the pounds to be drained!

In early 1962, The King was sold by Ernie Thomas into private ownership and converted to a houseboat, being renamed at this time to “Salamander.” In 1972, The King had major work undertaken at Charity Dock on the Coventry Canal including: new wooden cabin conversion, engine alterations, and the counter was replaced. The internal cabin decoration was at this stage painted by Jess Owen, most of which still survive in the back cabin.

The King spent the next 20 years based in London, mainly at Paddington/Battlebridge as a houseboat and paired with the FMC butty Fazeley. In 1991 The King moved up to the Midlands area and was based at Warwickshire Fly Boat Company for the next 10 years.

In 2006, the Gardner 4LW was removed and replaced with the current Gardner 2LW. The installation was completed by Barry Hawkins, at Atherstone, and during this time a weed hatch was also fitted in the counter.

In 2013, the wooden exterior cladding of the cabin was removed by Olympus Narrowboats at Lostock Gralam. During the removal of the cladding the original 1972 interior framework and lining was found to be in excellent condition so this was saved and the exterior cladding was replaced, new handrails and new paneling added.

We purchased The King in 2014, and have loved owning her for the past 6 years, she is full of character and ideal for family boating. The cabin was taken down to bare wood in 2019, treated with 2 pack epoxy on all the woodwork and repainted in FMC Red & Green livery, along with fresh traditional signwriting.

However, due to a change in our personal circumstances we are no longer getting the time to enjoy her so feel the time has come to pass her onto the next custodian.

BOW

Lockable gas locker in front deck housing 2 x 13kg gas bottles. Steel deck with wooden cants. Hardwood deck board and false cratch decorated with roses, diamonds etc and cotton ropework and firehose.

 

WELL DECK

9ft welldeck with access steps on either side of the cabin. Traditional Regentex side cloths and top cloths (made in 2019) make the area waterproof, or the top cloths can be removed during summer months to give a lovely area to sit out. The custom built stainless steel water tank sits at the front of the welldeck with filler in the gunnel.

Full length double doors give access to the 12ft lounge, mahogany cupboards and shelves on either side for storage. 2 x leather recliner chairs for seating and side doors with roses and castle decoration. A squirrel stove with a back boiler provides ample heat with 2 x radiators feeding the rest of the boat and also provides hot water.

8ft U shape kitchen with solid wood soft close cupboards and oak worktop. Belfast sink, a good sized 240V fridge with freezer box. Freestanding Indesit gas cooker. Calorifier is situated in the corner of the kitchen which provides hot water and is heated by the engine when you are underway,  back boiler on the Squirrel Stove or by the 3KW immersion heater. A dog box is fitted above the kitchen giving ample natural light.

Main Bedroom 

The kitchen leads into the main bedroom with fixed double bed (6ft 7in x ____). Cupboard space at the head of the bed with downlighters. Ample storage under the bed. Like the kitchen, a dog box is fitted above the bedroom giving plenty of light.

Second Bedroom/Office

After the main bedroom is a second bedroom (6ft 2in), we currently have this fitted with a bunk bed and freestanding toddler bed beneath. However this can easily be rearranged to provide office space, twin bunks, or, as it was when we bought it, an extra big bathroom

Within the bathroom on the starboard size is a 800mm x 800mm shower tray with Whale Gulper pump to pump the water overboard. The porta potti is kept within the shower tray when the shower is not in use. On the port side is a hand basin with a vanity unit for storage. Dog box with frosted glass situated above the bathroom to provide light.

Walking through into the engine room (7½ft) , houses the rebuilt Gardner 2LW with PRM gearbox. 2 x diesel tanks sit on either side of the engine room. The engine is raw water cooled and has a heat exchanger fitted allowing the engine to heat the hot water when cruising. A 3KW Sterling Inverter/Charger/Solar Regulator is located in the engine room. On the far side of the engine room is the 2 X Engine Starter Batteries and 5 x Domestic Batteries which were replaced in 2019. Engine room (side doors) located on either side. The engine is fitted with 2 x Alternators for charging both battery banks.

Engine History

  • 1905 – 1924: Haines Steam Plant
  • 1924 – 1967: Bolinder 15hp
  • 1967 – 1974: no engine
  • 1974 – 1978: Petter 12hp
  • 1978 – 1994: Lister JP2
  • 1994 – 2006: Gardner 4LW
  • 2006 – present: Gardner 2LW

In 2006, the Gardner 4LW was removed and replaced with the current Gardner 2LW. The installation was completed by Barry Hawkins, at Atherstone, and during this time a weed hatch was also fitted in the counter.

Finally you walk through into the 8ft back cabin, fitted in the traditional style with cabin decoration by Jesse Owen of Charity Dock in the 1970s. Fold down bed (SIZE), drop down table cupboard, and Classic Stove. Out through the back cabin doors leads you onto the back deck.

Traditional stern with 1 x dolly and 1 x towing hook as original fitted to this type of boat. Gear Controls are the traditional push/pull rod for gear and speed wheel for throttle. Weed hatch fitted in back deck. Full set of manila rope fenders (2 tipcats and 1 button) in excellent condition (new in 2016 and creosoted every year). 

Cabin

The cabin was originally added in 1972 at Chaity Dock, Bedworth. In 2013, the wooden exterior cladding of the cabin was removed by Olympus Narrowboats at Lostock Gralam. During the removal of the cladding the original 1972 interior framework and lining was found to be in excellent condition so fortunately this was saved and the exterior cladding was replaced, new handrails and new paneling added.

We took the cabin back down to bare wood in 2019 and repainted in good quality 2 pack epoxy primer, and Craftmaster undercoat and gloss. 

Hull

Originally built with iron sides and an elm bottom in 1905. The King now has a steel baseplate and has also been re-footed to the bottom guard. 

Docked in May 2020 and blacked with 2 pack epoxy on sides and base plate. 

The stern gear was removed in May 2019, inspected for wear and refitted. Was found to be in good condition and no repair work was necessary.

£SOLD